By: Writing Tips Today
There are four main principles of academic writing:
Exercise 1: In groups, discuss and define each of these principles. Then each group will share their definitions with the class.
Exercise 2: Creating a sustained argument consists of a writing and rewriting. The objective of this exercise is to think about the composing process. i.e., how to come up with ideas and then commit then to paper.
Discuss the answers to these questions with the other members of your group.
1. How can these resources help you to write your assignment?
- Academic books or journals
- Class notes
- Theses or dissertations or other students
2. Do you discuss your assignment with other students? Should you?
3. Do you ever make use of phrases from books or journals when writing your own assignment?
4. Do you use a dictionary or thesaurus? If so, in what form - printed or online?
5. Do you plan before writing, or do you just write something and then try to organize and improve it later?